Peugeot 108 vs Renault Twingo - Peugeot 108 Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peugeot 108 vs Renault Twingo

Two new city cars, two distinct methodologies. The Peugeot 108 is borderline feminine with its frilly themes and funny colors, while the Twingo tries its best to masquerade as a Porsche with its engine sticking out the back. The question, how do the two compare?

Interior:

We'll start with the interior. As both city cars are aiming to attract a young and hip audience they both come across as relatively modern. The 108 is quite a bit campy with its over the top themes, but once Peugeot releases more interior pictures and actual configurations we'll have a better idea of if males will actually be shopping for one.

The Renault is more minimalist, I do suppose the Twingo is more about driving dynamics than interior flair.

Engines and Motivation:

Both have a selection of three cylinder petrol engines, no surprises there. However the Twingo offers up this little quirk, rear engine, rear drive. Now for a good chunk of the buying population not only will that not register but they likely won;t even know the difference. As much as an advantage the Twingo may have in terms of driving fun I think at the end of the day it will turn out to be irrelevant. The 108 does things in the more traditional front engine/front drive. Both come with 5 speed manuals.

108: 1.0L I3 (68 hp) or 1.2L I3 (82 hp)
Twingo: 1.0L I3 (70 hp) or 0.9L Turbo I3 (90 hp)

Cargo Volume:

Because the Renault is now riding on a smart for four platform and the engine is sticking out the back it allowed the Renault designers to push the cab forward and position the wheels way out at the corners. Because of this they gained additional cargo volume in the interior as well as a comfortable rear seat. The 108 is not particularly bad, its quite in line with other cars in segment, its just the Twingo is the exception.

108: 180 liters
Twingo: 219 liters

Pricing:

Pricing has not been announced for either the 108 or the Twingo, however the 108's twin sister the Citroen C1 was priced just this week at a very competitive £8245. I'm fully expecting the 108 to match that. As for the Twingo its pricier driveline setup and its daimler sourced platform make it marginally more expensive, expect something just below 10,000 quid.

The Twingo will clearly be the more fun drivers car, but do you care?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Seems like the twingo will be more ideal for those that need more cargo space that have more needs to fill. Plus it looks great too, i would consider getting it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Seems like the twingo will be more ideal for those that need more cargo space that have more needs to fill. Plus it looks great too, i would consider getting it.

agreed, I just don't know if thats with the twingos seats folded down or not... and I also wasn't able to find a difference between the 108 three door and the 108 four door...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorma View Post
agreed, I just don't know if thats with the twingos seats folded down or not... and I also wasn't able to find a difference between the 108 three door and the 108 four door...
Good point, i didn't even think of that. One thing for sure is that we need more details on this stuff. Beijing show is coming up so we might hear some more then
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think that I like the interior of the Renault Twingo better than the 108's. I just wish that entire center control panel wasn't white. I think that Renault's idea of bringing the white from the dash around the control panel is better than making the whole thing out of the white material. Its just a bit much for me, especially considering the 108 already has a lot going on design-wise.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
I think that I like the interior of the Renault Twingo better than the 108's. I just wish that entire center control panel wasn't white. I think that Renault's idea of bringing the white from the dash around the control panel is better than making the whole thing out of the white material. Its just a bit much for me, especially considering the 108 already has a lot going on design-wise.
I feel that same way. Incorporating the entire centre piece in white makes the interior looks cheap and dust and dirt will also be a lot more visible..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:07 AM
LEM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
the Twingo's interface looks like something from the Early Learning Centre. I wish they could have improved this a little.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
No No NO to the Twingo...

I've seen a few of them around and the design isn't a patch on the peugeot. In my opinion the design does nothing for me - it's just a blob on wheels.

Unlike the fiat 500 it has nothing particularly unique about it that makes it stand out. It doesn't look cutting edge like the aygo and it lacks the more aggressive front end of the 108.

Its a renault, so build quality will be poor. Anyone ever owned a renault before and been pleased with its reliablity???
It might be bigger than the 108 - but so is a skip.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mde108 View Post
No No NO to the Twingo...

I've seen a few of them around and the design isn't a patch on the peugeot. In my opinion the design does nothing for me - it's just a blob on wheels.

Unlike the fiat 500 it has nothing particularly unique about it that makes it stand out. It doesn't look cutting edge like the aygo and it lacks the more aggressive front end of the 108.

Its a renault, so build quality will be poor. Anyone ever owned a renault before and been pleased with its reliablity???
It might be bigger than the 108 - but so is a skip.
I am yet to see a Twingo on the roads. See lots of Citroen C1's though.

its nice to be inportant but its more inportant to be nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot 108 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page