Winter Wheels - my picture - Peugeot 108 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deputy

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Winter Wheels - my picture

Fitted just before the snow came to parts of Yorkshire. 14" Peugeot steel wheels, Conti TS850 tyres and ebay special wheel trims which were the closest I could find to the allure alloys, complete with Peugeot logos.
All for less than 400 and looking forward to driving past stuck 4x4s costing 50K+ on silly low profile road tyres when the slush/snow/ice sets in up here!

(I did try to explain to a friend who has a large Q7 that going downhill in snow is the most dangerous and its all about tyre grip, she looked at me blankly and said "but salesmen said 4x4s are fine in snow....." )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto_no_exif.jpg (443.0 KB, 43 views)
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
It looks like a good job there with the wheel trim matching. Well done

I know someone with a Range Rover Sport and 22" alloys who think because its a 4x4 that it'll be fine. I did try to explain that when all four wheels lose traction you've got a two tonne piece of metal sliding around but they wouldn't listen.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 AM
CPC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Excellent. I look forward to hearing how you get on once the snow arrives.

You'll have to take some more pictures showing it ploughing through the snow

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Looks like a good option! It'll also save your alloys from grit/crud. Down south we don't get the extreme snow you get, thankfully. A nice light car with winter rubber is a great way to go though - especially if you know how to drive in snow and ice.

Well done on the wheel trims - they're not a half bad match.

Many years ago I go stranded in a snow drift at the bottom of a hill. I was in a ford focus at the time and the road ahead was blocked by other cars - so I parked up and called it a day driving.
I always keep some trail running shoes and goretex running gear in the boot of my car during winter incase I need to run home in snow (I run alot).
I will never forget half way up a pretty big hill running past a shiny brand new nissan crashquai engine screaming with smoke coming off its front tyres as the driver was just planting the peddle to the deck in the hope that they'd get traction once the tyres burnt through the ice, tarmac and into the bedrock of the road.
The smell of burning clutch/tyre/engine etc etc was really acrid. The car wasn't moving an inch. I stopped and knocked on the window as I could see the car was in danger of blowing up! I love cars and couldn't bear the scene.
The driver opened the door and you could see hysteria in their eyes. They said that they had bought a 4x4 to get up this exact hill to get home in any snowy conditions.
I felt a pang of guilt in having to tell them that they had bought the 2wd version of the crashquai and not the 4x4 and therefore were unlikely to proceed any further up the hill. I did offer to push the car a bit to get it moving but it didn't really work.

In any case the fact was that given the driving style and mechanical sympathy being shown to the poor vehicle it was unlikely anything would be able to cope with the hammering it was given!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm pleased to report in the recent snow I deliberately went for a play in the snow. I was getting up very steep Yorkshire dales roads, that are not even roads. My 4x4 with winter tyres went up without a slip. The mighty 108 on winters got up with a few spins, but the only 2 wheel drive car to get up! Any car on normal tyres, including a Discovery, failed to get up.
mde108 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 AM

Good news, sounds like they are well worth it then, particularly if you live in areas prone to bad weather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot 108 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page