Peugeot 108 won't have a next-generation model - Peugeot 108 Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Peugeot 108 won't have a next-generation model

I recently read that the Peugeot 108 will not get a next-generation model. The reason is that the Peugeot 108 does not have a high enough profit margin. Other models will not be getting a next-generation model either. Most of those models are being nixed because their sales have not reached the expectations of the manufacturer. Here is the quote from auto-types.com:

Quote:
Analysts estimate that the 3008, 5008, 4008, 207CC, 308CC, 807 models and the 108 will not receive replacements at the end of their lifecycle. While the 108 model will not be replaced because Peugeot wants to give up on low profit margin models, other designs will be phased out as a result of the fact that sales have not reached the expectations of the manufacturer and do not work enough into profitable segments.
So it seems that this will be the last Peugeot 108 to be manufactured for a while. Let's all cry a single tear for it.

http://www.auto-types.com/autonews/p...vel-11633.html
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well that could possibly all be a bit of babble talk! Consider that the 107 never got a follow up model, nor did the 106!

Peugeot is surely not abandoning the segment...

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Even if it's correct, the 107 has had a 9/10 year production lifespan- with technology still advancing at pace, who knows what form small cars will take by 2025.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I think its just about the margins. So if they can find a way to make a small car that has higher margins then I think it will happen. It'll be hard to do that though since I don't think that Peugeot wants to move down market at all, which is what I think they would have to do to raise their margins.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:13 PM

It's all about profit at the end of the day, likely they don't see it being something they can keep in production from much longer and keep it profitable.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM

unless Citroen and Peugeot are about to split thier ways. They currently offer the same vehicles in the same segments at the same price points. This could be the point of divergence. Peugeot moves up Citroen stays down?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorma View Post
unless Citroen and Peugeot are about to split thier ways. They currently offer the same vehicles in the same segments at the same price points. This could be the point of divergence. Peugeot moves up Citroen stays down?
I think that is the plan. Citroen is to be the more affordable and down market brand and then Peugeot is trying to move more upmarket. I think that sounds like a pretty good strategy too. No point on competing with yourself.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
I think that is the plan. Citroen is to be the more affordable and down market brand and then Peugeot is trying to move more upmarket. I think that sounds like a pretty good strategy too. No point on competing with yourself.
Oh is it actually! Interesting, I was just speculating, would you happen to have a link?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
While Peugeot will target the upper segment of the market, Citroen will become the mainstream brand of the PSA group, although it too will have fewer models.
This quote is from the link that I posted in the OP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot 108 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page