Help? - Peugeot 108 Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Help?

Hi,

My daughter passed her test last week and got a new 108 Active a few days ago. This is the first time she's driven the 108 and she's experiencing difficulty when taking off from junctions (stalling/kangaroo-ing) and this is knocking her confidence . The clutch seems to come up quite high before the 'bite'. Have explained that she probably just needs lots of practise and patience to get used to it but don't want her to get to the point where she becomes completely switched off and doesn't want to drive!! Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
Hi,

My daughter passed her test last week and got a new 108 Active a few days ago. This is the first time she's driven the 108 and she's experiencing difficulty when taking off from junctions (stalling/kangaroo-ing) and this is knocking her confidence . The clutch seems to come up quite high before the 'bite'. Have explained that she probably just needs lots of practise and patience to get used to it but don't want her to get to the point where she becomes completely switched off and doesn't want to drive!! Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, Have you driven it? If so, what do you think? Is the car brand new? Even an older one will still have warranty remaining if work is required. My wife's 108 does have a slightly higher than usual clutch biting point, but as an experienced driver you get used to these differences.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I drove it today and it is not easy to get bite. I'm a Peugeot driver and have been for quite a few years so am used to this make but it doesn't seem easy to take off in first gear and I find very noisy. It is a brand new car so not sure if this is normal or just teething problems or whether other people have had same experience? Was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions as to what to do? She's absolutely fine once driving, it's when she's taking off in first gear (she doesn't want to drive it now)!!! Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
Yeah I drove it today and it is not easy to get bite. I'm a Peugeot driver and have been for quite a few years so am used to this make but it doesn't seem easy to take off in first gear and I find very noisy. It is a brand new car so not sure if this is normal or just teething problems or whether other people have had same experience? Was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions as to what to do? She's absolutely fine once driving, it's when she's taking off in first gear (she doesn't want to drive it now)!!! Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Think you might have answered your own question. If you, as an experienced driver, have noticed it is just not right I would be inclined to take it back to the dealer and ask to drive another same model 108. If that is the same, then it is a matter of changing driving style. However, should it be a more normal gear change, then there is obviously something wrong with your daughters gear/clutch setup. That would be my plan, and have known of other people to do the same when experiencing issues with a new car. I had a problem with a Citroen Xsara, it constantly died on me, but could never be replicated in the garage when being checked. I insisted the mechanic came out with me for a test drive with his laptop diagnostic plugged into my OBD port. Sure enough after about 15 minutes it cut out. It was the TPS that was faulty, so car ECU was being fed wrong signal from TPS. Change of TPS and everything was fine.
Probably jumped a few steps there, but basically I am saying that you might need to be very proactive with the dealer to get to the bottom of this.
Please keep me posted.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. I'm going to contact dealer tomorrow as I do feel something's not quite right and like you suggest, test driving another 108 might help assess if there is a problem with the car or not. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How did you get on test driving another car?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot 108 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page