Bulbs changed to LEDs - Peugeot 108 Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bulbs changed to LEDs

Hi folks.

I've changed some of the bulbs to LEDs so thought I would share some of the details with you.

Rear high level stop light: These have been changed to LEDs and I used these red LEDs

Boot light: I used

Front Interior: I used

Number Plate light

NB: these are not as bright as the interior LEDs.

Reversing light:

I'll post some pictures of how to access the High Brake light etc and of the results you can expect to see....but first I had better say hello...

Al.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

To access the third/high brake light:

It is fiddly but not difficult and on no account should you use any force.

First you need to open the boot and remove the black cover. Prise from one side first with a trim removal tool:

The next couple of photos show the little plastic clips that need pressing towards the centre slightly NO FORCE IS NEEDED! (Incidently I had to use an old mirror to get these shots):

It is fiddly to get the bulb holder bar back** so have a little patience and don't force anything!!

**TIP: After you release the clips have a little practice relocating the bulb bar before you fully get it out through the access opening to change to LEDs/replace blown bulbs.

See next post........
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

...the next photo shows the bulb holder gently removed:

...the next photo, unplugged.... if you need to...but you should not need to do this...make sure you refit the plug correctly:

Hope that's been of help.

Al.

PS: TIP: Test leds/ bulbs before refitting bulb bar just in case you need to re-seat or turn LEDs ... you can just press the brake pedal...no need to start the car...open the door and just put your leg in whilst standing outside looking backwards....

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

One important point to remember is that you must use a Red LED behind a Red lens ...(amber behind an amber lens etc...). You can use any colour behind a clear/opaque lens.

Result:

Before....

After...

Much brighter and slightly faster reaction time.....Especially good if you have a high vehicle travelling behind.....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Reversing light change is a little awkward as there is a small nut to remove before the rear light cluster can be removed.

After you remove the small screw under the little flap next to the boot door on the interior trim and remove the centre pin and pull out the little fastener bung* next to the rear seat there is a small nut to remove when you gently pull away the trim. You will need an 8mm socket to release the little retaining nut that is in an awkward position and there is a danger of it falling inside.

You only need to release the tightness then you can use your fingers but I would suggest you use a cloth to fill in the void below and to the sides of the nut to prevent it falling into the panel if it slips from your fingers. The tip of the thread is smooth to help you avoid dropping the nut and this helps as a guide when replacing it.

You can then remove the light cluster from the outside but you may find it difficult to pull the little locking lugs from their very tight holding retainers.

There is one near the top and one near the lower area of the lens. They cannot be accessed and you need to pull the cluster away so they pop out of the retainers.

I found it easier to stand at the side of the car and push sharply on the side of the cluster towards to back whilst wearing a rubber glove. This should 'pop' the cluster off. Don't push too hard as you don't want to cause any damage; just a short sharp action should do it as you are only releasing the two little lugs from their retainers.

Just before you replace the cluster after swapping/changing your LED/bulb rub a little WD40 or vaseline on both the little lugs to make removal easier in the future.

*NB: You don't have to remove the little fastener bung near the rear seat but it does give you a little better access.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

In the previous post I mentioned how to release the rear light clusters.

Here's a few photos to show the items I mentioned:

This is the small screw that you need to remove by the boot door (next to the little bag hook).

This is the bung that needs to be removed near the rear seat (centre pin shown partly released).

,,,and this is the location of the small nut that needs removing with care (socket wrench shown on nut).

...as I mentioned; once you take off the tension on the nut it's quite easy to use your fingers to remove it...but don't drop it in the process!!

NB: You don't have to remove the little fastener bung near the rear seat but it does give you a little better access.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Here is the result of the swap from bulb to LED in the reverse light.

The garage door is really too close but it does show the benefit of the LED.

This is the OEM bulb:

...and this is the LED:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

The boot area and front interior are greatly improved:

These are non-CanBus compatible.

These will be too bright for the rear number plate but they are brilliant for the boot area and front courtesy lights.

Last edited by allan40alt; 02-09-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

The rear number plate result:

Plenty bright enough and very white. Energy saving around 90% (2X0.5W LEDs vs 2X5W Bulbs). These are non-CanBus compatible.

NB:Excessive red on rear of car caused by tail lights reflecting off the white interior of my garage door.

Last edited by allan40alt; 02-09-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

EXTERIOR:

Well I've had a good look around for other LEDs but as this is predominately a City/Town car it doesn't seem worth the expense as the existing exterior bulbs are quite adequate for purpose.

I feel the high/third stop light was worth changing to LEDs for safety reasons and also the reversing for the extra bright white illumination together with a better range, especially with the dark tinted rear windows in our Allure model...plus the power saving associated with LEDs.

The rear number plate bulbs were a low cost change to LED and are another saving in battery draw as well as being aesthetically pleasing on a white car.

Regarding the Headlights I did find a whiter bulb with a 20% (claimed) increase in brightness but at an offer price of just over 29** each I again feel the cost involved a bit prohibitive; unless you get a bulb fail and need to replace them anyway. Be aware though, life expectancy is much shorter....Oh; and have a read of the customers reviews...

Link is here if you are interested:

https://www.osram.com/am/ecat/COOL%2...t/ZMP_4052884/

** PS: I notice they are now further reduced to 27 each....

INTERIOR:

The interior bulbs I've changed to LEDs are perfect and a decent improvement at reasonable cost....whiter, brighter and again a saving in power consumption.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot 108 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page