Peugeot 108 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced the gear shift indicator lighting up at (in my opinion) inappropriate speeds?

For example, I was driving on a dual carriageway with a SLIGHT incline and the indicator came on to advise me to change from 5th to 4th, which I did. After changing to 4th it then advised changing to 3rd even though I was travelling at 65-70mph at the time! Any idea why it would advise changing to third? Having just the 1.0ltr Active model I was reluctant to change to 3rd as I didn't want any undue stress at that speed on the engine if I did.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What a coincidence you posting this.
We have had the 1.2 engine since March. Unfortunately some silly sod reversed into my wife and caused a bit of damage. Anyway, car now in for repair and we have a 108 courtesy car with the 1.0 litre engine. In the 1.2 I never noticed the gear change light. This 1.0 engine has the light on almost all of the time, mainly telling to shift down. Crazy, driving along the M74, going down a very slight incline and travelling at 70 odd MPH. It advised me to change down!!! It basically stayed on all yesterday during about 80 miles of mixed driving. If this is what they are all like in the 1.0 litre variety then people are going to develop some strange driving habits, and crap fuel consumption figures. Really annoying when driving in the dark.
I just assumed it is a characteristic of the 1.0 litre engine, as I have already stated, I never noticed it on the 1.2. My other car, a Vauxhall Mokka, also has a gear change indicator, and I can honestly say that in almost three years it has probably only displayed a handful of times.
Just a side point, the 1.0 is gutless compared to the 1.2, also the gear box must be different as very snatchy gear changes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC the 1.2ltr doesn't advise when you should change down a gear, only up.

As for your point about the 1.0ltr being gutless compared to the 1.2ltr, I concur your sentiments as I was given a 1.2 Allure model as a courtesy car when my car went in for its first year service and I couldn't believe the difference between mine and it. There was so much power and it also seemed a bit quieter than mine as well. As for the snatchy gear changes, I find my car fine when doing this but one thing I have had to get used to is the inconsistency of the smoothness in shifting the gear stick, for example sometimes changing down from 3rd to 2nd and then to first is a smooth transition and other times you really have to be firm with it to achieve the change.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You are most probably correct about the gear indicator. I had never really given any thought to it until yesterday, it really is very tiresome the constant warnings. But, like most things car related you probably get used to it. The 1.0 litre engine is absolutely fine until you need a bit of poke for an overtake, etc. This is where the 1.2 comes in to its own. The gear change issue is as you describe it, my description was wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only thing I don't like about the 108

My 108, one month old, is going into the garage for 2 days, as per Peugeot to test it and reconfigure it! I was doing 70 in 5th on the A1 (staright road, no incline) and it told me to change!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 108 Active 1.0 and mine does this too.

Same as above also going 70mph and it asks to go down to 4th - also slight inclines wants to go down gears when not appropriate - I have my 6 week service tomorrow so going to mention it them.

My Hyundai i20 never had this issue!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts