Peugeot 108 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pure Tech is the marketing speak for Peugeots new family of small displacement triples. The Puritan family, sorry Pure Tech family is a simple 1.0 and 1.2L naturally aspirated 3 cylinder engines plus the addition of a 1.2L Turbo accentuated option.

Peugeot is claiming the Pure Tech family produces power levels similar to a 1.6L displacement yet with an 18% increase in efficiency. PureTech is a key part of PSA’s commitment to reduce their average CO2 emissions to a model average 95g/km by 2020. PSA was the leading CO2 automotive producer in 2012 with CO2 of 121.5g/km and is reducing the weighted average emissions of CO2 of its European range still further to 115.9g/km in 2013...

My only large worry is that because you're asking small displacement engines to behave like larger displacements it ramps up the stress levels on the internals. Simplicity alwas beats out complexity..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seeing how they're trying to get so much power out of a small engine, it might be even more of a reason to not keep a car like this forever. Maybe keep it for say 3-4 years and after that get rid of it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It might wear on the engine a bit more than the usual suspects, but these little three bangers are getting better and better. I am not too worried about them breaking down. As long as you drive responsibly and don't gun it all the time, you should be fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It might wear on the engine a bit more than the usual suspects, but these little three bangers are getting better and better. I am not too worried about them breaking down. As long as you drive responsibly and don't gun it all the time, you should be fine.
That and as long as they sound good :D it's a small thing to be concerned about but in a vehicle like this I would at least want it to sound good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
id like to see something crazy like a 2.0L triple turbo
It sort of already went down, Motori used to make a 1.8L Turbo Diesel for the Alfa 33.

the power strokes of a four-cylinder engine are sequential, with no overlap. At the end of one cylinders power stroke another cylinder fires.
In a one, two, or three cylinder engine there are times when no power stroke is occurring. In a three-cylinder engine a power stroke occurs every 240 degrees (720° ÷ 3 = 240°). Since a power stroke cannot last longer than 180 degrees, this means that a three-cylinder engine has 60 degrees of "silence" when no power stroke takes place.
Plus the thing about triples is because they fire 1-2-3 it makes the engine rock side to side and needs to make use of balancing shafts...

·
Registered
96 Posts
yea triples are hard to balance out i know that

i've heard that triple cylinder motorcycles idle rough at times and do vibrate

takes some engineering to smooth em out

so wouldnt the "silence" be bad essentially? its time wasted that the engine is not making power

·
Registered
120 Posts
So does this trouble in keeping the engine balanced translate to it being more likely to break down or anything? I'm more worried about it being more likely to have problems than I am for it to have a bit more vibration. One cost money to fix, the other doesn't.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So does this trouble in keeping the engine balanced translate to it being more likely to break down or anything? I'm more worried about it being more likely to have problems than I am for it to have a bit more vibration. One cost money to fix, the other doesn't.
Thats what im considering too, vibration seems like it could result in more wear and tear on the engine, sacrificing it's reliability and how long it will last, this is not looking good!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Providing it has sufficient damping it shouldn't be an issue. These 3 Cyl engines really are too new to discover any long term reliability issues though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The damping on the peugeot 3 pot seems alot better than the citroen version.
I've tried 3 1.2 C1s and all of them rattled like heck! They were intolerable at idle and sounded like diesels!!

My 1.2 engine is really smooth (and should only get better in the next few months).
Given that all the big manufacturers are offering 3 cylinder units these days I would suggest the old balancing issues have been resolved.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The damping on the peugeot 3 pot seems alot better than the citroen version.
I've tried 3 1.2 C1s and all of them rattled like heck! They were intolerable at idle and sounded like diesels!!

My 1.2 engine is really smooth (and should only get better in the next few months).
Given that all the big manufacturers are offering 3 cylinder units these days I would suggest the old balancing issues have been resolved.

ok the 1.2 engines are all made by psa (peugeot citroen) and are identical...there wont be any difference between a 1.2 c1 or 108, they are the same car except for minor cosmetic changes

the same applies for the 1KR-FE 1.0 3 pot, its made by toyota for TPAC who make the 108 / c1 and Aygo in poland

the engine dates from the mid 90's and was designed by Diahatsu. It was heavily updated for the my2012 cars to get under 100gm emission level and again heavily updated for the my2015 108/c1/aygo

there were some terrible problems with the 1.0 engines getting chronic piston slap at low milages, the very first my2012 engines were the worst. my first 107 had 4 engines fitted within first 1500 miles, all knocking hard when cold.

counter balance shafts stop most of the vibration .

3 cylinder engines have been around since the mid 70's eg the 3 pot Laverda Jota motorcycle, first production car was the Suzuki Alto in 1979...

·
Registered
200 Posts
there were some terrible problems with the 1.0 engines getting chronic piston slap at low milages, the very first my2012 engines were the worst. my first 107 had 4 engines fitted within first 1500 miles, all knocking hard when cold.
That's very interesting.
What were the symptoms and how did you get the stealer to fit new engine(s)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts