Peugeot 108 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new report coming out of England suggests that Peugeot may be planning to add more performance-focused variants to its lineup. This would help the brand in its bid to move upmarket.

Peugeot 108 GTi Rendering

Peugeot's head of product Xavier Peugeot explained, "As we seek to establish a more premium image, it is clear there are more and more opportunities for projects that add halo cars to ranges, including the addition of fast cars in the range."

Knowing that more performance models are on the way, now we can have some fun speculating exactly what those models will be. One model that is rumored to be in the pipelines is a production version of the 308 R Concept that was introduced in Frankfurt last September. That vehicle had a 1.6-liter four-cylinder THP mill developed jointly by BMW and PSA. It produced 270 horsepower at 6,000 rpms and 243 lb-ft of torque.

Another vehicle that is possible is a performance version of the 2008 crossover that was inspired by the 2008 DKR.

Of course a final candidate for a performance model would by the Peugeot 108. Such a vehicle would be able to compete with the likes of the VW Golf GTi. As far as engines that it could get, there is the 1.2-liter THP unit that is in the 308 compact. It could be tuned to about 130 hp.

Peugeot 2008 DKR

·
Registered
186 Posts
I dont think a 108 GTi would compete with the Golf GTI, I believe that falls in the Meganes wheel house. But I could see a 108 GTi doing well against the likes of Fiesta ST or Twingo RS (if they get around to it). There is a bit of precedent as well the 106 was GTi'ed at one point but the 107 was never favoured in the same fashion. Something about green images ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well regardless of what it competes with, a GTi version of the 108 would be really cool. I think that people are really into hot hatches right now and the 108 would be a great little hot hatch. Would 130 hp in the 108 make it go very fast? I guess it depends on the weight of it too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dont think a 108 GTi would compete with the Golf GTI, I believe that falls in the Meganes wheel house. But I could see a 108 GTi doing well against the likes of Fiesta ST or Twingo RS (if they get around to it). There is a bit of precedent as well the 106 was GTi'ed at one point but the 107 was never favoured in the same fashion. Something about green images ;)
That battle with all those 3 models will be rather interesting, cant wait for that day to come

·
Registered
186 Posts
whoops did I say MEgane above, silly fellow thats a different brand :D my mistake all.

I bet Peugeot could shoehorn the 1.6 from the 208 GTi into the 108, good for 200 bhp, good enough to meet a tree :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that the Peugeot 108 (hypothetically GTI) would proably perform just as well as the VW Golf GTI and I think that it looks more stylish. I know that the Golf is popular but I just don't find it to be the most exciting car out there. It looks pretty boring to me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think that the Peugeot 108 (hypothetically GTI) would proably perform just as well as the VW Golf GTI and I think that it looks more stylish. I know that the Golf is popular but I just don't find it to be the most exciting car out there. It looks pretty boring to me.

NOT IN THE SAME SEGMENT... I thought we had been over this ;)

Its the UP GT you want to talk about... Top gear is in love with it...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think so too. Whats great about the UP GT is that is similar sized to the original GTI, lighter (i believe) and offers similar power figures on tap. Its the original GTI all over again, I'm surprised they're not EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think that most VW cars look boring sadly. The Peugeot 108 definitely looks more exciting, but I don't know if it would be any more fun to drive than the VW Up! GT. Has the Up! GT come out yet or is it still on the docket?

I want to see a little drag race between some of the cars in this segment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts