Peugeot 108 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because Sergio Marchionne said so, OK?

Just a **** ;)

In actuality the problem comes from the strangulation methods employed by Brussels, getting small diesel cars to conform to Euro Emission regs is adding too much overhead in the form of emissions technology. At that point the margins start to turn back and no one wins...

Sergio did actually say this however...

You can do this on a larger vehicle because of the costs associated with those vehicles. It’s much more difficult to join with a car like [the Chrysler 200 sedan] and keep the margins above normal. Other manufacturers are making the cars. The question of whether they’re making money is a question you should ask them specifically.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/04/marchionne-no-money-in-small-diesel-cars/

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just don't think that people are missing out on much by not having a diesel option. Diesels would be more expensive and they wouldn't provide much better fuel economy. Not enough to make up for the extra price you would pay for it. I mean, are people not happy with the petrol engine offering?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just don't think that people are missing out on much by not having a diesel option. Diesels would be more expensive and they wouldn't provide much better fuel economy. Not enough to make up for the extra price you would pay for it. I mean, are people not happy with the petrol engine offering?
I dont think so, I think this is more a testament to how far diesel engines have come in terms of efficiency especially in Europe. Petrol engines are actually about a generation behind the diesels in development just because so much focus has been on diesel for so long. Now with Euro regs tightening diesels are seeing a tough slog of being efficient and economically feasible to the company...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yup, petrol engines are behind, whats amazing is that we've had them for ever and still they are working on them and are always getting more from them, power and mileage

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am perplexed by this assertion that petrol engines are behind diesel ones. How is that possible? Petrol engines are far more widely used than diesel. You'd think that would translate to a greater degree of engineering focus.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Behind when it comes to mileage, which will take a while for petrols to catch up if they even do. Not sure how much more they can improve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts